Machine design occupies a prominent place in Mechanical Engineering and it‘s most indispensable tools are the information resources available in the form of standards, codes research results etc. to develop new or improved machines. This course is designed to fulfil this requirement.
In this course the students will be acquainted with standards, safety, reliability, ergonomic statistical considerations and manufacturing aspects in mechanical design. The topics dealt in the course and the pedagogy is aimed to prepare the graduates with the ability to analyse and design various machine elements to meet the needs with in realistic constraints.
The students will be able to apply fatigue failure criteria in the analysis and design of mechanical components. The students will be able to analyse and design power transmission shafts carrying various elements with geometrical features. At the end of this course, students will be able to analyse and design mechanical springs, rolling element bearings, hydrodynamic journal bearing, hydrostatic thrust bearing and selection of lubricants. The students will be able to analyse and design the spur, helical, bevel and worm gear. Through this course, students will also be able to improve their technical report writing skills.
- Ergonomic and value engineering considerations in design
- The influence of manufacturing processes in the design of machine elements
- The stress concentration due to geometric discontinuities present in machine elements
- Various fatigue failure criteria, load-life relation and finite and infinite life of machine components
- To apply fatigue failure criteria in the design and analysis of machine components under various loading conditions
- Spring terminology and different types of springs
- To design and analyze coil springs (compression, tension, torsion) under various loads
- The function of bearing, types and load- life relationships
- To select the bearing from catalogue for a given application
- The basic modes of lubrication in journal bearing
- To analyse and design hydrodynamic journal bearing based on temperature rise and other specific parameters
- Types of gears and application, force acting on gear tooth and common types of failure
- To analyse and design the gears based on beam strength, dynamic loading and wear
- To justify a design project in a formal report
- To perform and present design calculations in a neat and organized manner etc.
- Teacher: Suresh Verma